Strawberry Yogurt Pops! - A fun and healthy kid-approved snack for hot afternoons.
Updated: Jul 13, 2022
School's out, summer is here (..well least in Miami) and we're running out of snack ideas! Sound familiar?
These yogurt-dipped strawberries are #kidapproved by my girls and meet all of the mentioned criteria: perfect for summer, healthy, and simple to make! Did you know May is National Strawbery Month? To celebrate we got these juicy and huge strawberries to make Strawberry-Yogurt Pops.
One of the most popular requests I get is healthy snacks for kids. #healthykidsnacks Why? Well, probably its because your kids are eating lots of snacks! Maybe even more than before. Just like us, adults, are going through a rollercoaster of emotions in the past 3 months; kids are also dealing with their own anxiety. Part of this can be seen in the frequency of snacks and asking for food. So what do you do? Rather than restricting your kids of snacks, instead, try to evaluate when your kids are hungrier and provide a bigger "heartier snack". Research shows that limiting foods will actually have the opposite effect and lead to overeating. Having a meal routine will also help a lot! Set meal schedules and snacks will help your kids anticipate the next meal and provide a sense of routine. Check out my latest instagram post, where I talk more about meal schedules for toddlers.
Are you in the mood to try a new snack/dessert recipe?
I'm all about making super simple recipes, and this is one of them! There are many variations you can make. Chocolate covered strawberries being one of my favorites! But this time, we wanted to try something different. Instead of chocolate, we used greek yogurt with honey or agave syrup. For toppings, we used pistachios, chocolate chips, and sprinkles, but you can use whatever you want. Your kids will love participating in creating their own topping buffet!
Why I like these Yogurt Strawberry Popsicles?
1. May is Strawberry Season- You will get the biggest and juiciest strawberries, which is why we decided to make this snack idea. Buying in season is always the best choice!
2. Only 3-4 ingredients- I'm all about simple recipes. Technically speaking you only need 2 ingredients + whatever toppings you like. Other great toppings to chose from include coconut flakes, and nuts- no added sugar in these options.
3. Fun for kids- I decided to put these in a bamboo stick (you can also use a cake pop) because I felt they would be more appealing to my daughters and easier to eat. See my other post of why I love using bamboo sticks to get kids to try the food.
3. Great combination with Key Nutrition for Kids- Essentially its fruit + greek yogurt. Lots of vitamin C, protein, calcium, and fiber. A nutrient-loaded snack. Yes, yes to all of this!
How your child can help you in the kitchen:
Chose the toppings
Wash the Strawberries
Insert the strawberries into the bamboo stickS
Sprinkle with the topping of their choice
My kids loved the entire process and their favorite part was eating them! Let me know what you think! Leave me a comment below!
Yogurt Pops! - A fun and easy recipe for hot afternoons.
Prep. Time: 15 mins.
1/2 cup greek yogurt
4 Large Strawberries
3 tablespoon honey or Agave Syrup
Toppings of your choice
Bamboo Sticks optional
1. In a bowl, mix well the yogurt with the honey (or the agave syrup).
2. Insert the sticks into the strawberries and cover generously with the greek yogurt blend.
3. Sprinkle with your favorite toppings.
4. Freeze for 1-2 hours until the consistency is nice and firm
Optional: You can leave them on the freezer for less time, between 40-45 minutes if you aim for a softer consistency.
by Marina Chaparro, RDN