6 Reasons Why You Should Breastfeed Your Baby
Breastfeeding offers many benefits not only for you but also for your baby. And now even supermodels like Gisele Bundchen make it look “fashionable” and totally “natural”.
Find out the 6 reasons why breastfeeding offers the best benefits for you and your baby.
- The Ideal Nutrition: Breast milk is also known as "the ideal food" for your baby, as it contains the exact composition of fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals to provide the best nutrition for your baby. Breast milk also changes in composition depending on the stage of your baby's development. For example, colostrum is only produced in the first days of your baby's life and contains high levels of antibodies that protect him in the first days.
- Intelligence: Studies show that children who are breastfed have higher IQ levels and may do better on standardized tests. The longer they were breastfed, the better cognitive outcomes they demonstrated. So, children who are breastfed are not only healthier but also smarter!
- Weightloss: A mother can gain between 25-50 pounds in pregnancy. We know that losing weight after pregnancy is not easy, but breastfeeding may be the easiest solution to lose those extra pounds. Breastfeeding your baby exclusively and consistently can burn between 300-500 calories a day. Additionally, women who breastfeed have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes, lower rates of ovarian cancer and osteoporosis, according to studies by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
- Autoimmune System: Breast milk contains antibodies that help your baby fight bacteria and viruses. Babies digest breast milk better than formula. Studies indicate that children who are breastfed have fewer allergies, asthma, gastrointestinal problems, ear infections, and allergic skin problems.
- Obesity Prevention: Children who receive breast milk tend to regulate their feeding better and gain only the necessary weight. Formula-fed babies tend to gain weight faster in the first few weeks of life, which can increase the risk of obesity in the long term.
- Cheaper and More Convenient: Breastfeeding is not only good for your child, but it's good for your wallet. Each can or container of formula may cost between $15-$35. Add aside the bottles, the bottles and the inconvenience of having to boil the water and get up every time to prepare the formula. If you breastfeed, you avoid cleaning and sterilizing the thousands of bottles each week. Moreover, you will be doing the environment a great favor!
The benefits of breastfeeding your baby go beyond these mentioned. You can rest assured that the best vaccine you can give your little one is miraculously in you!